The Challenge Results

The Challenge Results
The Challenge Results

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Confession time


I am allergic to running. Whew that felt good to get off my chest. Now for those of you who are waiting for a punch line or a quick “just kidding” don’t hold your breath. I am actually allergic to running, and more specifically running outside. Maybe I should explain what happens.
Since about the sixth grade the same thing has happened each time I have taken a run longer than a mile outside. I do well for about a half a mile and then suddenly my thighs start to burn like someone has pored lighter fluid on them and lit a cigar. Now if that was all I might be able to keep going but it continues across the rest of my legs and up my chest and back. Then to top it all off it turns to hives. Now half of you just became doctor house and diagnosed a detergent problem, while 40 percent will know it is the type of clothes I am wearing, 4 percent blame the weather, and 1 percent blame the fact that I am a hairy dude.
Well every doctor and friend I asked would agree with you. So I have spent many a year changing my soaps, clothes, and even had a whole body wax. Yes from neck down. Nothing worked. I am fine on a treadmill, bike, and doing any vigorous activity i.e. wrestling, but as I stroll down a road pain like you have never felt creeps up. The simple way out would be to just not run outside, sounds easy enough. There is a minor problem and it is called Bloomsday.
Bloomsday is the largest timed race in the world and goes on annually in Spokane Washington. I have completed the race, though slowly, 22 times in a row. And because I am fairly young if I keep up my record I might hold some kind of record when I’m in my seventies. Not much of a life goal but I am going to be at that race no matter what every year. For example the race was the morning after my high school prom and without any sleep and out 30 minutes out of a tux I was running along side my date.
Now I know running is a great way to stay in shape and when my challenge is done, weather pending, I would love to run around the hills but don’t want to be in pain. Anyone have any other suggestions of how I might solve my problem?

No comments:

Post a Comment